Holiday Tree Tips
With the holidays fast approaching, it is time to decorate for Christmas. Listed below are some tips of how to prevent fire hazards from State Farm.
How to prevent Christmas tree fire hazards
- Ensure that your live tree is fresh - nobody likes a burning Christmas tree! The needles should be hard to pull from the branches and don’t break when bent between your fingers. The bottom of the trunk should be sticky with resin. If you tap the tree on the ground, few needles should fall off.
- Keep the tree away from heat sources such as fireplaces, vents and radiators.
- Be sure to check the water level daily and make sure the stand is filled with water. Heated rooms will quickly dry out the tree.
- Practice Christmas tree safety by placing the tree out of traffic and make sure it’s not blocking doorways.
- If you buy an artificial tree, be sure to look for the “Fire Resistant” label. The label doesn’t guarantee the tree won’t catch on fire, but it does indicate the tree is more resistant to catching on fire.
If you do experience fire damage, call SERVPRO of Greenville/Cleveland today at (662)846-1700.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!