Precautions to Prevent Fires
Below are precautions you can take to help prevent house fires.
- Make sure your outlets aren't overloaded
- Your Electrical appliances don't have loose or frayed cords/plugs
- Don't have electrical wires under heavy equipment.
Keep candles on a level surface, away from combustible materials and out of reach of children or pets. Always blow them out before leaving the house.
When a pot and pan splatter grease, it can take seconds to cause a fire. When cooking stay close by, especially if using oil or high temperatures. Keep combustibles away from the heat source (e.g. oven mitts, dish towels, paper towels).
- You may need a permit depending on where you live to have a fire.
- Use a screen over your fire to keep the sparks from flying
- Keep a bucket of water or a hose close by.
- You have to have a permit if your fire is bigger than 2 ft tall and 3 ft diameter.
- Keep at least 25 ft away from structures and tree limbs.