Spring brings with it lots of sunshine and beautiful flowering trees in full bloom all around us, but also warmer temperatures and oftentimes strong winds and dry conditions that can spark wildfires.
"Residents are urged to exercise caution handling any potential ignition source, including machinery, cigarettes and matches," the National Weather Service advised. "Be sure to properly discard all smoking materials. Any dry grasses and tree litter that ignite will have the potential to spread quickly."
The NWS offers these safety tips:
- Take ashes outside, away from the house and combustible material.
- Put ashes in a metal bucket/container.
- Always use a metal container; never use a plastic or paper bag.
- Completely immerse the materials in water.
- Clear an area for the container — possibly down to dirt, ruling out the possibility that grass could catch fire if it were knocked over.
- Allow the contents to soak for at least a week.
Fire damage can have extremely catastrophic effects on your property. SERVPRO of Greenville/Cleveland is the area’s fire & water damage experts and are always “Faster to any size disaster.” Large or small, we will restore your fire- and water-damaged property, residential or commercial, with efficiency and detail.
Call us 24/7 at 662-846-1700. We’re here to help!